President Trump and WHO Director-General are ‘concerned’ about Ebola outbreak

Date:

play

President Donald Trump says he is “concerned” about the deadly Ebola outbreak overseas, where one American has so far tested positive for the disease, for which there is no vaccine or treatment.

Speaking to reporters at a White House event promoting Trump Rx on Monday, May 19, the president answered questions about the rapidly increasing number of Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo and neighboring countries. The outbreak was first confirmed by the World Health Organization (WHO) on May 5 and is thought to have infected hundreds of people.

Asked if Americans should be concerned, Trump said: “I’m concerned about everything, but I certainly am.” “You know, I think it’s limited to Africa right now. But it’s something that’s exploding.”

Dr. Heidi Overton, deputy director of the White House Domestic Policy Council, said Monday that there are no confirmed cases of Ebola in the United States. An American missionary who tested positive for the Bundibugyo virus, the prevalent strain of Ebola, will be evacuated to Germany for treatment, along with six other Americans who are also considered “high risk,” he said.

U.S. authorities also implemented travel and entry restrictions on noncitizens who recently visited Uganda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and South Sudan.

WHO director-general is ‘deeply concerned’ about the ‘scale and speed’ of Ebola outbreak

Dr. Anthea Anthea, WHO representative in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, similarly called the situation “very worrying” in a statement on Tuesday, May 19.

“While there is no approved vaccine or treatment for this type of Ebola, supportive care is lifesaving,” she said. “This is occurring in a highly complex epidemiological, operational and humanitarian context, characterized by insecurity, population movement, and both densely populated and remote areas.”

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus similarly told attendees of the 79th World Health Assembly on May 19 that he was “deeply concerned by the scale and speed of the outbreak.”

Still, although the WHO has designated the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern” (a term used to describe “serious, sudden, unusual, or unexpected” health events that pose an international risk), it said on Sunday, May 17, that it still does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency.

How many people are infected with Ebola?

As of May 19, the Ministry of Health of the Democratic Republic of the Congo reported more than 500 suspected cases, including 130 suspected deaths. According to the WHO, more than 30 of these cases have been confirmed, and the actual number is likely to be much higher.

Officials say the risk in the United States remains low.

The outbreak comes as critics grow concerned about the Trump administration’s withdrawal from broader public health efforts and the WHO, which once played a key role in monitoring new outbreaks.

Contributor: Reuters; Eduardo Cuevas, USA TODAY

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Former ‘Bachelor’ Colton Underwood talks fatherhood and faith

Colton Underwood shares his fertility 'shame'Colton Underwood revealed the...

Silver fell 2.50% on May 19, 2026

How much is silver worth per ounce today?As of...

Amy Schumer reveals intimate side effects of ‘colonoscopy gone wrong’

Amy Schumer talks about her 'botched colonoscopy' at Dear...

Gold price today May 19, 2026

How much is gold worth per ounce today?As of...