Pete Hegseth condemns protesters during National Guard event in Washington, DC

Date:

play

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth called protesters “ungrateful” on Thursday, July 2, as he and other Trump administration officials praised the work of the National Guard at a Safe and Beautiful Task Force event in Washington, D.C.

“The ambient noise here this morning is perfect. It’s the sound of ungratefulness, ingratitude, people so blinded by ideology that they can’t see law and order and common sense right in front of them,” Hegseth said. “There is nothing ideological about this group. There is nothing political about this exercise.”

Separately from Hegseth, the President’s Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller and Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche were also heckled by Free DC protesters during the event.

The Hill reported that protesters honked whistles and horns as Trump administration officials touted the National Guard, which has been patrolling Washington, D.C. since the president deployed the branch after declaring a state of security emergency last year.

“Thank you for being here and cheering us on along the way. The whole team, the Soldiers here, thank you for all you’ve done. Thank you for waiting outside in the sun,” Hegseth said.

Tension between the Trump administration and DC

During his second term, Trump has pushed for an expanded role for the federal government in the area, citing concerns about crime, homelessness and public safety.

In August 2025, President Trump sent approximately 800 National Guard troops to Washington, D.C., after declaring a state of security emergency. Several Republican-led states also sent Guard members to help.

The federal government’s takeover of the city’s police force ended in September, but the National Guard continues to be deployed. Currently, more than 4,000 National Guard troops remain deployed in the district.

In addition to deploying the National Guard, President Trump established the Washington, D.C., Safe and Beautiful Task Force in March 2025. In the executive order establishing the task force, the president directed federal agencies to work on “beautifying” the nation’s capital.

Fernando Cervantes Jr. is a trending news reporter for USA TODAY. Contact us at fernando.cervantes@usatodayco.com and follow us at X @fern_cerv_.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

When will the Trump administration’s Dulles Airport renovation work begin?

President Trump pressured Senator Schumer to rename Penn Station...

Lindsay Clancy, ex-husband’s testimony and nature of mental illness

Massachusetts mother goes on trial for killing her three...

Chili’s announces nationwide restaurant renovations. What you can expect

Server impressed by customer's ketchup portraitWhen Jacqueline Mang realized...

Trey Mullinax says medication led to six-month suspension from PGA Tour

Michael Kim talks about shooting 59 at 3M Open...