Israel plans to summon thousands of reserves and expand Gaza attack amid stagnating hostage talks

Date:




CNN

Israeli Defense Forces said on Saturday it would mobilize thousands of reserves in what appears to be a growing attack in Gaza.

The move, coming amidst a deadlock at the ceasefire meeting, follows reports on Friday that IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir submitted plans to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Israel Katz to intensify pressure on Palestinian extremist group Hamas.

Israeli public broadcaster Kan 11 reported that Zamir’s plans include evacuating Palestinian civilians from northern Gaza and central Gaza ahead of the expansion in those regions, reflecting the tactics used earlier this year in Rafa, southern Gaza.

Citing the unnamed official, Kan 11 said Netanyahu’s security cabinet is expected to approve the plan on Sunday.

The news sparked concern among the 59 hostage families still held by Hamas in Gaza.

Described as an “urgent and heartfelt” charm, the Hostage and Missing Family Forum headquarters warned on Saturday that “escalation of the battle will put both hostages and deceased immediately in danger.”

“The majority of Israeli people view hostage return as a top priority in the country,” he added.

Negotiations to ensure the release of the remaining hostages have been suspended for several weeks.

The Egyptian-Qatar-mediated lectures have repeatedly collapsed. Hamas has called for a permanent ceasefire and a full withdrawal of Israel, but Israel accused Hamas of rejecting a “reasonable offer.”

On Thursday, Netanyahu explicitly stated that defeating Israeli enemies was more important than ensuring the release of remaining hostages, in a statement that sparked backlash from family representatives. Previously he had said he had defeated Hamas and secured the release of hostages as the main target for Israeli war in Gaza.

Meanwhile, the Prime Minister’s Office announced on Saturday that it will reschedule Netanyahu’s visit to Azerbaijan from May 7-11 at a later date.

Citing “a intense diplomacy and security schedule,” he said the change has followed “the development of Gaza and Syria.”

This is a developing story and will be updated.



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

When will the Trump administration’s Dulles Airport renovation work begin?

President Trump pressured Senator Schumer to rename Penn Station...

Lindsay Clancy, ex-husband’s testimony and nature of mental illness

Massachusetts mother goes on trial for killing her three...

Chili’s announces nationwide restaurant renovations. What you can expect

Server impressed by customer's ketchup portraitWhen Jacqueline Mang realized...

Trey Mullinax says medication led to six-month suspension from PGA Tour

Michael Kim talks about shooting 59 at 3M Open...