Children cleaned on school buses among at least 49 people killed in South Africa’s floods

Date:




CNN

At least 49 people have been confirmed to have been killed after floods struck South Africa. This includes children whose school buses were cleaned during extreme weather, officials said.

A severe, cold front struck parts of South Africa, causing rain and snow, and flooding.

According to state officials, in one of the most intense states, in the Eastern Cape, floods have driven many people out of their homes, causing power outages and road closures.

Earlier on Wednesday, the state broadcaster SABC reported that a school bus was washed away into the river in Decoliny Village on Tuesday morning on the way to school.

The state government said 13 people were on the bus, including students, drivers and his assistants.

“Sadly, four of these learners have been confirmed to have passed away along with drivers and minibus conductors,” Eastern Cape Prime Minister Lubavaro Oscar Mabuyane said at a briefing Wednesday afternoon.

The other four remained missing, adding that rescuers are still searching for more bodies.

Cyril Ramaphosa’s office said in a previous statement that in a message from the bereaved family three children had been rescued from the vehicle.

South Africa has been tackling floods in recent years, some of which are fatal.

In 2022, floods were fueled in a severe downpour that killed up to 400 people in Durban and KwaZulu-Natal.



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

When will the Trump administration’s Dulles Airport renovation work begin?

President Trump pressured Senator Schumer to rename Penn Station...

Lindsay Clancy, ex-husband’s testimony and nature of mental illness

Massachusetts mother goes on trial for killing her three...

Chili’s announces nationwide restaurant renovations. What you can expect

Server impressed by customer's ketchup portraitWhen Jacqueline Mang realized...

Trey Mullinax says medication led to six-month suspension from PGA Tour

Michael Kim talks about shooting 59 at 3M Open...