South Korea’s Lee orders new investigators to consider the fatal 2022 crash

Date:



Reuters

South Korean President Yi Jae Myung ordered the establishment of a new investigative team involving police and prosecutors, and ordered the fatal Halloween crowd that killed 159 people, mostly young people in 2022, his spokesperson said Thursday.

His spokesman Kangjun told the briefing that when he met the families of the victims from recent major disasters, including the Halloween crash in Seoul’s Itawong district, Lee’s move came to launch a new investigation.

Lee, who took office in June, promised to make the country safer and prevent repeated disasters in recent years.

The president said the new investigator would work with a special committee launched last September to consider the lawsuit, according to a spokesman.

In a meeting with Lee, Song Hye-jin, the family representative of the crash victims, said police records and information regarding the government’s response to the disaster had been withheld by the special committee.

During his encounter with the family, Lee bowed deeply as he apologised for the failures he made by the authorities.

“As Head of State, I would like to represent the government to formally apologise for the many who have not fulfilled their responsibility to protect people’s lives and safety, and for the sake of many who have lost their lives as a result.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Cavaliers defeat Pistons in Game 7, setting up Knicks vs. Cavs in ECF

Will any team in the East stop the Knicks?The...

Why is Anderson Cooper leaving “60 Minutes”? in his final farewell

Twenty years after appearing on CBS News' ``60 Minutes,''...

ACM Awards 2026 Winners — See full list

Shania Twain loves Ella Langley and ShabouziShania Twain shares...

New poll finds Americans think economy is ‘struggling’ and ‘uncertain’

President Trump says he spoke with President Xi about...