The Transportation Security Administration says PreCheck is continuing at this time, although delays remain possible.
What the DHS Closure Means for You
The Department of Homeland Security shutdown could cause problems in various parts of the agency.
NEW YORK – The Department of Homeland Security previously announced it would temporarily suspend TSA PreCheck lanes as the partial government shutdown continues, but said they will not close them immediately.
“At this time, TSA PreCheck continues to operate without any changes for travelers. If staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate them on a case-by-case basis and adjust operations accordingly,” a Transportation Security Administration spokesperson told USA TODAY in a statement. “Ceremonial escorts for members of Congress and others have been suspended so that law enforcement officers can focus on their mission of protecting America’s skies.”
The Department of Homeland Security initially announced late Saturday that it would suspend the TSA Prescreening and Global Entry programs starting at 6 a.m. ET on Sunday, February 22, before reversing policy.
Adam Stahl, a senior Transportation Security Administration official, said in a statement posted on social media early in the government shutdown that the prolonged lapse in funding could cause disruption for travelers, including “delays, extended wait times, and flight cancellations.”
If authorities decide to suspend the program, millions of travelers who have paid for expedited screening and expedited customs processing could be returned to regular lines.
In a statement first reported by the Washington Post, DHS Secretary Kristi Noem said the TSA and Customs and Border Protection are prioritizing “travelers in general.” She described the move as one of several “tough but necessary” decisions made during the funding lapse.
Despite DHS’ initial orders, TSA officers at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport continued to separate passengers into pre-screening and non-pre-screening lines early Sunday morning and continued to use metal detectors rather than full-body scanners for Trusted Traveler program participants.
The closure stems from a standoff in Congress over immigration enforcement policies. As the situation continues to ebb and flow, TSA employees deemed essential are working without pay.
“The suspension of TSA pre-screening and Global Entry is extremely disappointing,” Jeff Freeman, president and CEO of the U.S. Travel Association, said in a statement. “We are disgusted by how over the past 90 days Democrats and Republicans have used air traffic controllers, the TSA, CBP, and the entire travel experience as a means to achieve their political goals.” “Travellers should not be taken advantage of, they should be prioritized.”
TSA PreCheck members, who will number more than 20 million in 2024, will be required to use standard screening lanes, potentially increasing wait times at already busy airports. The program costs between $76.75 and $85 for five years.
Global Entry, which has more than 12 million members and costs $120 over five years, could also be disrupted. Much of the program relies on automated kiosks, which can result in longer wait times at customs and passport control due to staffing and processing delays.
DHS’ Trusted Traveler programs collectively cover more than 40 million vetted passengers. Past closures have disrupted registration and lengthened lines, but the lanes and kiosks themselves have remained open.
If this suspension is ultimately implemented, it will be the first known official nationwide suspension of these expedited benefits.
(This story has been updated to add new information.)
Zach Wichter is a travel reporter and writes the Cruising Altitude column for USA TODAY. He is based in New York and can be reached at zwichter@usatoday.com.

